Thursday, September 10, 2009

So Sick of The Sickies

It seems like every month K breaks out with a cold type bug. It starts out with constant sneezing and a clear runny nose. I immediately think it's allergies. It can't be a cold bug, since she isn't around anybody but me most of the time. After she sneezes like crazy for a day or two, she begins having congestion along with wheezing and a cough. This past weekend it got really bad to the point she wanted to cuddle and sleep in momma's arms all night long. The crazy thing is that she doesn't get a fever to I rule out any viral or bacterial infections. I pull out the nebulizer and pump it with albuterol. This helps her breathe better, but not for long. I hate to see her so miserable.


I was really tired of going through this with K at least once a month. Her pediatricians weren't telling me what I wanted to hear. So I took another route. I decided to take her to see an allergist. We went to see Dr. Petty in Idaho Falls. They decided to go ahead and test her with 56 different serums. I am so proud of K she did absolutely wonderful. Dr. Petty did a great job of becoming K's friend before even taking her vitals. He had all of her trust. I have never seen a doctor quite like him. After her back was pricked with each of the serum, they would check her back every half hour or so. She did get a big welt on one of those sights. It turns out my child is highly allergic to tobacco smoke. I couldn't believe it. It's not like we smoke. Soon after it clicked, we do have a neighbor who is a chain smoker, who is only home on the weekends. Even though we are on a half acre, a wind draft carries that smoke on over to our house. It doesn't take much for K to flare up. Dr. Petty explained that it begins with an allergic reaction to the smoke and soon after it become a mild asthmatic problem. He prescribed the necessary medicine, now we are set and ready to fight back. We now run away from the smokers. Too bad it's so hard to avoid them when they are everywhere you turn around.

No comments: