Thursday, December 31, 2009

Destroyer or Builder?

DESTROYER OR BUILDER?
Author Unknown

I watched them tear a building down
a gang of men in a busy town
with a heave ho-ho and a lusty yell,
they swung a beam and a side wall fell.

I asked the foreman "Are these men skilled
and the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He had a long laugh and said, "No indeed,
just common labor is all I need."

"I can easily wreck in a day or two
what builders have taken a year or two."
And I though to myself as I went my way,
"which of these roles have I tried to play?"

Am I a builder who works with care
measuring life by the rules and the square?
And shaping my deeds to a well made plan,
patiently doing the best that I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town
content with the labor of tearing down?

I came across this poem. I figured it is fitting for the end of this year and the coming of the fresh new year. I hope this new year brings us all the happiness as we strive to build those things in our lives that matter most.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I too hope I can be a builder. Reminds me of that primary song.